« Prev City Road Chapel Opened Next »

City Road Chapel Opened

Sunday, November 1, was the day appointed for opening the new chapel in the City Road. It is perfectly neat, but not fine, and contains far more people than the Foundry. I believe, together with the morning chapel, as many as the Tabernacle. Many were afraid that the multitudes, crowding from all parts, would have occasioned much disturbance. But they were happily disappointed; there was none at all; all was quietness, decency, and order. I preached on part of Solomon's prayer at the dedication of the Temple; and both in the morning and afternoon (when I preached on the hundred forty and four thousand standing with the Lamb on Mount Zion), God was eminently present in the midst of the congregation.

Monday, 2.--I went to Chatham and preached in the evening to a lively, loving congregation. Tuesday, 3. I went by water to Sheerness. Our room being far too small for the people that attended, I sent to the Governor to desire (what had been allowed me before) the use of the chapel. He refused me (uncivilly enough), affecting to doubt whether I was in orders! [1] So I preached to as many as it would contain in our own room.

Wednesday, 4.--I took a view of the old church at Minster, once a spacious and elegant building. It stands pleasantly on the top of a hill and commands all the country round. We went from thence to Queensborough, which contains above fifty houses and sends two members to Parliament. Surely the whole Isle of Sheppey is now but a shadow of what it was once.

Thursday, 5.--l returned to Chatham and the following morning set out on the stagecoach for London. At the end of Stroud, I chose to walk up the hill, leaving the coach to follow me. But it was in no great haste: it did not overtake me till I had walked above five miles. I cared not if it had been ten: the more I walk, the sounder I sleep.

Sunday, 15.--Having promised to preach in the evening at St. Antholine's Church, I had desired one to have a coach ready at the door when the service at the new chapel was ended. But he had forgotten; so that, after preaching and meeting the society, I was obliged to walk as fast as I could to the church. The people were so wedged together that it was with difficulty I got in. The church was extremely hot. But this I soon forgot, for it pleased God to send a gracious rain upon His inheritance.

Sunday, 29.--I was desired to preach a charity sermon in St. Luke's church, Old Street. I doubt whether it was ever so crowded before; the fear of God seemed to possess the whole audience. In the afternoon I preached at the new chapel; and at seven, in St. Margaret's, Rood Lane, fully as much crowded as St. Luke's. Is then the scandal of the cross ceased?

« Prev City Road Chapel Opened Next »
VIEWNAME is workSection