1. Then Joshua called the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh,
1. Tunc accersivit Josue Rubenitas et Gaditas ac dimidiam tribum Manasse,
2. And said unto them, You have kept all that Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, and have obeyed my voice in all that I commanded you:
2. Dixitque ad eos, Vos custodistis omnia quae praecepit vobis Moses servus Jehovae, et obedistis voci meae in cunctis quae praecepi vobis.
3. You have not left your brethren these many days unto this day, but have kept the charge of the commandment of the LORD your God.
3. Non deseruistis fratres vestros jam diebus multis usque ad diem hanc, sed custodistis custodiam praecepti Jehovae Dei vestri.
4. And now the LORD your God has given rest unto your brethren, as he promised them: therefore now return you, and get you unto your tents, and unto the land of your possession, which Moses the servant of the LORD gave you on the other side Jordan.
4. Nunc autem requiem dedit Jehova Deus vester fratribus vestris, quemadmodum dixerat eis: nunc igitur revertimini, et proficiscimini ad tabernacula vestra, ad terram possessionis vestrae, quam dedit vobis Moses servus Jehovae trans Jordanem.
5. But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
5. Tantum observate diligenter ut faciatis praeceptum et legem quam praecepit vobis Moses servus Jehovae, ut diligatis Jehovam Deum vestrum, et ambuletis in omnibus viis ejus, servetisque praecepta ejus, et adhaereatis ei, atque serviatis ei toto corde vestro, et tota anima vestra.
6. So Joshua blessed them, and sent them away: and they went unto their tents.
6. Benedixitque eis Josue, ac dimisit eos, abieruntque in tabernacula sua.
7. Now to the one half of the tribe of Manasseh Moses had given possession in Bashan: but unto the other half thereof gave Joshua among their brethren on this side Jordan westward. And when Joshua sent them away also unto their tents, then he blessed them,
7. Dimidiae autem tribui Manasse dederat Moses in Basan: alteri autem ejus parti dedit Josue cum fratribus suis trans Jordanem ad occidentem. Et etiam quum dimitteret eos Josue in tabernacula sua, et benedixisset eis.
8. And he spoke unto them, saying, Return with much riches unto your tents, and with very much cattle, with silver, and with gold, and with brass, and with iron, and with very much raiment: divide the spoil of your enemies with your brethren.
8. Tunc dixit ad eos, dicendo. Cum divitiis multis revertimini ad tabernacula vestra, et cum aquisitione multa valde, cum argento, et auro, et aere, et ferro, et vestibus multis valde: dividite spolia inimicorum vestrorum cum fratribus vestris.
9. And the children of Reuben and the children of Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh returned, and departed from the children of Israel out of Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan, to go unto the country of Gilead, to the land of their possession, whereof they were possessed, according to the word of the LORD by the hand of Moses.
9. Reversi sunt itaque, et abierunt filii Ruben, et filii Gad, et dimidia tribus Manasse a filiis Israel de Silo quae est in terra Channan, ut irent ad terram Gilead, ad terram possessionis suae, in qua possessionem acceperunt secundum sermonem Jehovae per manum Mosis.
1 Latin, "
2 French, "
3 Jewish writers, founding on plausible data, calculate that the auxiliary tribes who crossed the Jordan to assist their brethren, had been absent from their homes for a period of fourteen years. -- Ed.
4 The Septuagint alters the tenor of the whole passage by substituting the past tense for the imperative, and making it read not as a part of Joshua's address, but as the statement of a fact, "They departed with much riches," etc., and "they divided the spoil of their enemies with their brethren." -- Ed.