JACKSON, FREDERICK JOHN FOAKES: Church of England; b. at Ipswich (18 m. s.e. of Bury St. Edmunds), Suffolk, Aug. 10, 1855. He was educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge (B.A., 1879), and was curate of Ottershaw, Winchester (1879-81), St. Giles, Cambridge (1882-84), and St. Botolph's, Cambridge (1884-91). He was appointed lecturer on divinity in Jesus College, Cambridge, was elected fellow in 1886, and made dean in 1895 and tutor in the following year. Since 1897 he has been examining chaplain to the bishop of Peterborough, since 1901 honorary canon of Peterborough cathedral, and was Hulsean lecturer in 1902. Theologically he is an orthodox member of the Church of England, and heartily accepts her dogmatic teachings. He has written History of the Christian Church (London, 1891); Biblical History of the Hebrews (Cambridge, 1903);
JACKSON, GEORGE ANSON: Congregationalist; b. at North Adams, Mass., Mar. 17, 1846; d. at Swampscott, Mass., May 8, 1907. He was graduated from Yale (Ph.B., 1868) and Andover Theological Seminary (1871); was pastor at Leavenworth, Kan. (1871-73), Southbridge, Mass. (1873-78), and Swampscott, Mass. (1878-97), and librarian of the General Theological Library, Boston, after 1897. He wrote: The Christian Faith (Boston, 1875); The Apostolic Fathers (New York, 1879); Fathers of the Third Century (1881); Post-Nicene Greek Fathers (1883); and Post-Nicene Latin Fathers (1883).
JACKSON, SHELDON: Presbyterian; b. at Minaville, N. Y., May 18, 1834; d. at Asheville, N. C., May 2, 1909. He was graduated at Union College in 1855, and Princeton Theological Seminary in 1858. He was a colporteur of the Presbyterian Board of Publication in 1856, and agent of the American Systematic Beneficence Society in 1857. In 1858 he was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry, and in the same year was appointed missionary to the Choctaw Indians at Spencer Academy, I. T. From 1859 to 1869 he was a missionary in western Wisconsin and southern Minnesota, being also pastor at La Crescent, Minn., from 1859 to 1863, and an agent of the United States Christian Commission to the Army of the Cumberland for three months in 1863, as well as associate pastor with George Ainslee at Rochester, Minn., and principal and professor of higher mathematics at Rochester Female Institute from 1864 to 1869. Throughout this time he itinerated constantly, and in these ten years organized over twenty churches. He declined the superintendency of Presbyterian missions in Minnesota in 1864, but in 1869 he accepted an appointment as superintendent of Presbyterian missions for northern and western Iowa, Nebraska, Dakota, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, eastern Nevada, and Alaska were later added to his district, thus giving him Presbyterian supervision over nearly half the territorial area of the United States at that time. It was largely through his efforts that the Woman's Board of Home Missions was organized in 1878. In 1879 and 1880 he was commissioned by the Government to collect Indian children from the Pueblo, Apache, Pima, and Papago tribes for education in the Indian Training Schools at Carlisle, Pa., and Hampton, Va.
After 1877 his main interests were connected with Alaska, and in 1879 he was commissioned by President Hayes, together with Rev. Dr. Henry Kendall, to prepare a special report on the native tribes of southeastern Alaska as a basis for legislation. Six years later he established the first canoe mail service in Alaska, and in the following year secured the enactment of a law giving limited territorial government, and providing for the establishment of public schools in the same territory. In 1885 he was. appointed General Agent of Education in Alaska. In 1891 he began the successful introduction of Siberian reindeer into Alaska to provide the Eskimos with food, and in 1897 was a special agent of the United States Government in transporting a colony of Laplanders with their reindeer to Alaska. In 1897 he was commissioned by the Secretary of Agriculture to report on the agricultural possibilities of the Yukon River, and in 1899 established the first reindeer post-office routes in America.
He was a member of the executive committee of the International Sunday School Association since 1887, and in 1893 was appointed an advisory member of the religious congress held in connection with the Chicago World's Fair. He furnished exhibits of Alaskan ethnology to every national exposition from 1885 to 1905, and presented a valuable collection of ethnological material to Princeton Theological Seminary, which was later transferred to Princeton University. He was one of the founders of Westminster College at Salt Lake City. He edited the Rocky Mountain Presbyterian at Denver from 1872 to 1882, when he presented it to the Board of Home Missions and edited it in New York City as The Presbyterian Home Missionary from 1882 to 1885. He also edited. the illustrated missionary monthly North Star at Sitka, Alaska, from 1887 to 1894. In addition to assisting in editing The World's Best Orations (11 vols., St. Louis, 1899) and The World's Best Essays (10 vols., 1900), he prepared for the United States Government twenty annual reports on education in Alaska since 1881 and fifteen on the introduction of domestic reindeer into Alaska since 1890, and wrote Alaska and Missions on the North Pacific Coast (New York, 1880).
BIBLIOGRAPHY: R. L. Stewart, Sheldon Jackson, Pathfinder and Prospector of the Missionary Vanguard in the Rocky Mountains and Alaska, New York, 1908.
Calvin College. Last modified on 10/03/03. Contact the CCEL.