BODELSCHWIRGH, bō'del-shving, FRIEDRICH VON: German Lutheran; b. near Tecklenburg (20 m. n.n.e. of Münster), Westphalia, Mar. 6, 1831, son of Ernst von Bodelschwingh-Velmede, a distinguished Prussian statesman. After gaining practical experience of mining and agriculture, he studied theology (from 1854) in Basel, Erlangen, and Berlin, and in 1858 became pastor of the German congregation in Paris, at Dellwig in Westphalia 1864. During the wars of 1866 and 1870-1871 he served as army chaplain. Since 1872 he has devoted himself to the work of the Innere Mission at Bielefeld, and the following institutions have been founded by his exertions: the Bethel house for epileptics with 1,800 inmates; the Sarepta deaconesses' house with 980 sisters located in 326 stations, of which eleven are in foreign countries; the Nazareth house for training male nurses with 350 deacons in 120 stations, six not in Europe and six more outside Germany; the "workingmen's colony" Wilhelmsdorf (a practical attempt to deal with the tramp problem), the first of its kind in Germany, having at present five branches and 400 inmates; a "workingmen's home" with 164 houses and 400 dwellings; a missionary seminary for candidates in theology.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: M. Siebold, Kurze Geschichte und Beschreibung der Anstalten Bethel . . . bei Bielefeld, Bethel publishing house, 1896, and the annual reports.
BODENSTEIN, ANDREAS RUDOLF VON. See CARLSTADT.
BODY, CHARLES WILLIAM EDMUND: Protestant Episcopalian; b. at Clapham (a suburb of London) Oct. 4, 1851. He was educated at St. John's College, Cambridge (B.A., 1875), where he was fellow from 1877 to 1881. In the latter year he was chosen provost and vice-chancellor of Trinity University, Toronto, where he remained until 1894, when he was appointed professor of Old Testament literature and interpretation in the General Theological Seminary, New York City. He has written The Permanent Value of Genesis (the Paddock Lectures for 1894; New York, 1894).
BODY, GEORGE: Church of England; b. at Cheriton Fitzpaine (9 m. n.w. of Exeter), Devonshire, Jan. 7, 1840. He was educated at St. John's College, Cambridge (B.A., 1882), and was curate of St. James's, Wednesbury, Staffordshire (1863-65), Sedgley, Staffordshire (1865-67), and Christ Church, Wolverhampton (1867-70). From 1870 to 1884 he was rector of Kirby-Misperton, Yorkshire; and since 1883 he has been canon of Durham. He was proctor in convocation of York for Cleveland in 1880-85 and was select preacher to the University of Cambridge in 1892, 1894, 1896, 1900, and 1904, as well as lecturer on pastoral theology in the same university in 1897. He was warden of the Community of the Epiphany, diocese of Truro, in 1891, and is also chaplain to the bishop of St. Andrews and vice-president of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. He has written: Life of Justification (London, 1884); Life of Temptation (1884); The Appearances of the Risen Lord (1890); The School of Calvary (1891); Activities of the Ascended Lord (1891); The Life of Love (1893); The Guided Life (1894); and The Work of Grace in Paradise (1896).
Calvin College. Last modified on 05/10/04. Contact the CCEL.