Men are invited to seek wisdom because it teaches those principles by
which they may obtain God's guidance and avoid the society and
influence of the wicked, whose pernicious courses are described.
1-5. Diligence in hearing and praying for
instruction must be used to secure the great principle of godliness,
the fear of God.
hide … with thee—lay up in store
2. Listen attentively and reflect seriously
1:24; Ps 130:2).
understanding—right perception of
3. Yea, if—literally, "When if," that
is, in such a case.
understanding—as in Pr 2:2.
4. There must be earnest prayer and
5. understand—or, "perceive
6. For—God is ready (Jas 1:5; 4:8).
out of his mouth—by revelation from
7. sound wisdom—literally, "substance,"
opposed to what is fictitious. According to the context, this may be
assistance, as here corresponding with
buckler—or safety, or wisdom, which
procures it (compare Pr 3:21; 8:14; 18:1; Job 6:13;
layeth up—provides, ever ready.
8. keepeth … way—God defends the
right way, and those in it.
saints—objects of favor (compare Ps 4:3, &c.). He guides and guards
9. Then—emphatic, in such a case.
righteousness … path—all parts
of duty to God and man.
10, 11. Idea of Pr 2:9, amplified; on terms, compare Pr 2:2 and Pr
12-15. To deliver—as from great danger
way … man—(Ps 1:1).
froward things—perversity (Pr 6:14;
23:23), what is opposed to
13. paths of uprightness—or,
14. and that with pleasure, in ignorance of
good and pursuit of evil.
frowardness—Not only their own
perversity, but that of others is their delight. They love most the
15. crooked—tortuous, unprincipled.
froward—literally, (they) are going
back, not only aside from right, but opposite to it.
16-19. Deliverance from another danger.
the strange woman—This term is often
used for harlot, or loose woman (Jud 11:1, 2), married (Pr 7:5, 19) or not (1Ki 11:1), so called, because such were, perhaps
at first, foreigners, though "strange" may also denote whatever is
opposed to right or proper, as "strange fire" (Nu 3:4); "strange incense" (Ex 30:9).
her words—(Ps 5:9).
17. guide … youth—lawful husband
covenant … God—of marriage made
in God's name.
18. inclineth—sinks down (compare Nu 13:31).
the dead—or shades of the departed
19. that is, such as remain impenitent
paths of life—(Ps 16:11), opposed to paths unto the dead.
20. That … way of good—that is,
Such is the object of these warnings.
21, 22. (Compare Ps 37:3, 9, 22,
22. transgressors—or impious rebels
rooted out—utterly destroyed, as trees
plucked up by the roots.