Protestant Episcopal bishop; b. at Lenox, Mass., Oct. 14, 1840; d. at Mentone Jan. 7, 1908. He was graduated from Hobart College, Geneva, N. Y., 1860, and from the General Theological Seminary, New York, 1863; was ordered deacon, 1863, and ordained priest, 1864; became assistant at St. Paul's Church, Troy, N. Y., 1863; rector of Christ Church, Ballston Spa, N. Y., 1865; was rector of St. John's Church, Detroit, Mich., 1868-85; and was bishop of Nebraska from 1885. His administration was marked by a great development in the affairs of the see.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: W. S. Perry, The Episcopate in America, p. 291, New York, 1895.
An English clergyman, known as a member of the school of "Cambridge Platonists" (q.v.), into whose inner life his Diary and Correspondence (ed. Crossley, for the Chetham Society, Manchester, 1847) gives valuable glimpses. He was b. at Manchester, Feb., 1618; d. in London, Nov. 30, 1671; was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (B.A., 1635; M.A., 1639; fellow, 1641), where he had Benjamin Whichcote for his tutor and Nathanael Culverwel (qq.v.) for his friend; became a clergyman in 1646. Besides several parochial preferments, he was master of Jesus College, Cambridge, from 1650 to 1660, when he was displaced to make room for the restoration of a former master who had been ejected by the Puritans. He spent his remaining years between London and Lincolnshire, where he held the living of Ingoldsby, of which More was the patron, and a prebend in Lincoln cathedral. His original work consists mainly of a volume of Discourses (London, 1725), and a smaller volume of Miscellanies (1704); but he also edited with great care the works of Joseph Mead, from whom the Cambridge movement may in a sense be said to take its rise, and the Select Discourses of John Smith, one of its most important members.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Besides the literature under CAMBRIDGE PLATONISTS, and under the articles on the members of that school, consult Worthington's Diary and Correspondence, ut sup.; Simon Patrick's Autobiography, Oxford, 1839; J. Tulloch, Rational Theology and Christian Philosophy, ii. 426-433, Edinburgh, 1874; DNB, lxiii. 40-42.
Dutch Reformed; b. at East Fishkill, N. Y., Apr. 30, 1835. He was graduated from Amherst (B.A., 1857) and the Reformed Church Seminary, New Brunswick, N. J. (1860). He held pastorates at Brooklyn, N. Y. (1860-63), Philadelphia (1863-65), Schenectady, N. Y. (1865-1871); Fort Plain, N. Y. (1880-83), and Saugerties (1883-1901), He was debarred from regular pastoral work in 1871-76 by ill-health, and for the next four years acted as supply to various churches. Since 1901 he has been secretary of the Ministerial Relief Fund of the Reformed Church in America. In theology he holds "to the Reformed faith, with modifications as suggested by scientific learning and broader sympathies." He has written the two poems Reliques of the Christ (New York, 1888), and The Divine Processional (1903). Several of his hymns are in current use.
Calvin College. Last modified on 10/03/03. Contact the CCEL.