CHAMBERLAIN, JACOB: Reformed (Dutch) missionary; b. at Sharon, Conn., Apr. 13, 1835; d. at Madanapalli, Madras, India, March 2, 1908. He was educated at Western Reserve College, O. (B.A., 1856), the Reformed Theological Seminary, New Brunswick; N. J., and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York. In 1859 he went as a medical missionary to the Arcot Mission, Madras, and was stationed successively at Palmaner, Madras (1860-1863), and at Madanapalli, Madras (1863-1901). From 1891 he was lector in Biblical languages and prophecy and acting principal of the Theological Seminary in the Arcot Mission, Palmaner. He was chairman of a committee for the translation of the Bible into Telugu, 1873-94; member of the Telugu Revision Committee of the Madras Tract Society in 1873-80, and in 1878 was elected vice-president of the American Tract Society for India. In 1901 he was first moderator of the South India United Church Synod, and since engaged in literary work in Tamil and Telugu. He translated the liturgy of the Reformed Dutch Church into Telugu (Madras, 1873), and also prepared a Telugu version of the Hymns for Public and Social Worship (1884), as well as other devotional works in the same language. His English works include: The Bible Tested (New York, 1878); Native Churches and Foreign Missionary Societies (Madras, 1879); The Religions of the Orient (Clifton Springs, N. Y.,1896); In the Tiger Jungle (Chicago, 1896); The Cobra's Den, and Other Stories of Missionary Work Among the Telugus of India (1900); and The Kingdom in India, with introductory biographical sketch by Henry N. Cobb (1908).
CHAMBERLAIN, LEANDER TROWBRIDGE: American Presbyterian; b. at West Brookfield, Mass., Sept. 26, 1837. He was graduated at Yale in 1863, and from 1863 to 1867 was attached to the Pacific Squadron of the United States Navy. During this period he made explorations in the Inca civilization of ancient Peru. He studied theology at Andover 1867-69, and was pastor of the New England Congregational Church, Chicago, 1869-76, of the Broadway Congregational Church, Norwich, Conn., 1876-83, and of the Classon Avenue Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, 1883-90. Since 1890 he has had no charge. He was the first United States representative secretary of the McCall Mission of France, a delegate to the Centennial of Sunday-schools in London in 1880, and a delegate of the General Assembly of the United States to the Pan-Presbyterian Council in the same city in 1888, a founder of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, a representative of the United States Evangelical Alliance to the General Conference of Evangelical Alliances in Florence, Italy, in 1891. He is also president of the Evangelical Alliance for the United States, of the Philafrican Liberator's League, and of the Thessalonica Agricultural and Industrial Institute, Macedonia; secretary and treasurer of the American and Foreign Christian Union; vice-chairman of the national committee on arbitration between the United States and other countries; custodian and patron of the collection of gems in the National Museum, Washington; and curator of Eocene mollusca in the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia. In theology he is a Calvinistic Presbyterian. He has written: A Short History of the English Bible (Norwich, Conn., 1881); Citizen's Manual (New York, 1898); The State, Its Origin, Nature, and Functions (1898); The Colonial Policy of the United States (1899); Patriotism and the Moral Law (1900); Evolutionary Philosophy (1901); Government not Founded in Force (1904); The Suffrage and Majority Rule (1904); and The True Doctrine of Prayer (1906).
Calvin College. Last modified on 05/10/04. Contact the CCEL.