BURTON, ERNEST DE WITT: Baptist; b. at Granville, O., Feb. 4, 1856. He was educated at Denison University, Granville, O. (B.A., 1876), and Rochester Theological Seminary (1882), and also studied at the universities of Leipsic (1887) and Berlin (1894). He was an instructor in Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1876-77, and a teacher in the public schools of Xenia and Norwood, O., in 1877-79. In 1882 he was appointed instructor in New Testament Greek in Rochester Theological Seminary, but in the following year was called to Newton Theological Institution as associate professor of New Testament interpretation, and was full professor there from 1886 to 1892. In the latter year he went to the University of Chicago as professor of New Testament literature and interpretation, and head of the department of Biblical and patristic Greek, a position which he still holds. He has been a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis since 1883 and of the Chicago Society of Biblical Research since 1892. In theology and Biblical criticism his attitude is that of a conservative progressive. He has been associate editor of the Biblical World since 1892 and of the American Journal of Theology since 1897. He has also written: Syntax of the Moods and Tenses in New Testament Greek (Chicago, 1893); Harmony of the Gospels for Historical Study (New York, 1894; in collaboration with W. A. Stevens); Handbook of the Life of Christ (1894; in collaboration with W. A. Stevens); Records and Letters of the Apostolic Age (1895); Handbook of the Life of Paul (Chicago, 1899); Constructive Studies in the Life of Christ (1901; in collaboration with S. Mathews); Principles and Ideals of the Sunday School (1903; in collaboration with S. Mathews); Short Introduction to the Gospels (1904); Studies in the Gospel of Mark (1904); and Some Principles of Literary Criticism and their Application to the Synoptic Problem (1904).
BURTON, LEWIS WILLIAM: Protestant Episcopal bishop of Lexington, Ky.; b. at Cleveland, O., Nov. 9, 1852. He was educated at Kenyon College, Gambier, O. (B.A., 1873), and at the Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1877. He was ordered deacon in 1877 and was priested in 1878. He was successively curate and rector of All Saints', Cleveland, 1877-80, of St. Mark's, Cleveland, 1881-84, rector of St. John's, Richmond, Va., 1884-93, and rector of St. Andrew's, Louisville, Ky., 1893-96. In 1896 he was consecrated bishop of Lexington. While in Virginia, he was an examining chaplain to the bishop of that diocese. He is now a trustee of Kenyon College and of the University of the South, as well as a member of the Joint Commission of the General Convention on Christian Education. In theology he belongs to the conservative school. His publications include sermons, charges, contributions to periodicals, and the section on the annals of Henrico Parish, Va., in J. S. Moore's Virginiana (Richmond, 1904).
Calvin College. Last modified on 05/10/04. Contact the CCEL.