DU BARTAS, dii bar"td', GUILLAUME DE SALLUSTE, SEIGREUR: French Protestant; b. at, Montfort, near Auch (42 m. w. of Toulouse), 1544; d. in Paris July, 1590. He served in the Huguenot army under Henry of Navarre and undertook diplomatic missions to Denmark, Scotland, and England. His death was caused by a wound received at the battle of Ivry. As a poet he enjoyed great popularity in the sixteenth century, being regarded by the Protestants as the superior of the famous Ronsard. His poetry has been praised by no less a critic than Goethe. His masterpiece, La Semaine ou la creation du monde, was published in 1578. In six years it passed through thirty editions and was translated into almost every European language (Eng. transl. by J. Sylvester, in Du Bartcas, his Divine Tl'eekes and Workes, London, 1641). In 1584 he published La Seconds semaine, an epic embodying a large part of the history of the Old Testament. The first collected edition of his works appeared in 1611 (2 vols.).
Bibliography: C. A. Saints-Beuve, Tableau . . . de In pogais /rangaiaa au %VIe siPcls, 2 mole., Paris, 1838: P.
DUBBINK, GERRIT HENDRIK: Reformed (Dutch); b. at Overisel, Mich., Dec. 3, 1866. He was graduated at Hope College, Holland, Mich., in 1892 and Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Mich., in 1895. He was pastor of the Third Reformed Church, Holland, Mich.,1895-1904, and since 1904 has been professor of didactic and polemic theology in Western Theological Seminary. In theology he is in full sympathy with the symbols of the Reformed Church in America. His literary activity has thus far been confined to contributions to religious and theological papers and journals.
DUBBS, JOSEPH HENRY: Reformed (German); b. at North Whitehall, Pa., Oct. 5,1838. He was graduated at Franklin and Marshall College in 1856, and Mercersburg Theological Seminary in 1859. He was pastor of Zion Reformed Church, Allentown, Pa. (1859-63), Trinity Reformed Church, Pottstown, Pa. (1863-71), and Christ Reformed Church, Philadelphia (1871-75), and from 1875 to 1906 was professor of history and archeology in Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa. He was acting president of his college in 1904, for fifteen years was secretary of its faculty, and since 1889 has been secretary of its board of trustees. Ile was corresponding delegate to the Lutheran General Synod in 1873 and to the Presbyterian General Assembly in 1891, as well as president of the Eastern Synod of the Reformed Church in the United States in 1893. In theology he adheres to the orthodox Christological position of his denomination. He was editor of the Guardian in 1882-86 and of the Reformed Church Messenger in 1894-95, and has written Historic Manual of the Reformed Church (Lancaster, 1885); Home Ballads and Metrical Versions (Philadelphia, 1888); Why am 1 Reformed? (1889); History of the Reformed Church (New York, 1895); Leaders of the Reformation (Philadelphia, 1900); The Reformed Church in Pennsylvania (1902); and History of Franklin and Marshall College (Lancaster, 1903).
Calvin College. Last modified on 08/11/06. Contact the CCEL.