14. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.
14. Salutat vos Lucas medicus dilectus, et Demas.
15. Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.
15. Salutate fratres qui sunt Laodiceae, et Nympham, et Ecclesiam quae est domi ipsius;
16. And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.
16. Et quum lecta fuerit apud vos epistola, facite ut etiam in Laodicensium Ecclesia legatur: et eam quae ex Laodicea est ut vos legatis.
17. And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfill it.
17. Et dicite Archippo: Vide ministerium quod accepisti in Domino, ut illud impleas.
18. The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen.
18. Salutatio, mea manu Pauli. Memores estote vinculorum meorum. Gratia vobiscum. Amen.
When he speaks of the Church which was in the house of Nymphas, let us bear in mind, that, in the instance of one household, a rule is laid down as to what it becomes all Christian households to be -- that they be so many little Churches. 1 Let every one, therefore, know that this charge is laid upon him -- that he is to train up his house in the fear of the Lord, to keep it under a holy discipline, and, in fine, to form in it the likeness of a Church.
END OF THE COMMENTARY ON THE EPISTLE TO
1 See Calvin on the Corinthians, vol. 2:p. 78.
2 "Contrefaire et mettre en auant vne lettre comme escrite par sainct Paul aux Laodiciens, voire si sotte et badine;" -- "To forge and put forward a letter as if written by St. Paul to the Laodiceans, and that too so foolish and silly."
3 "Qu'eux -- mesmes aussi doyuent faire des remonstrances et inciter leur pasteur;" -- "That they must themselves employ remonstrances and stir up their pastor."
4 Paul had previously made mention of his bonds, in the 3d verse of the chapter. -- Ed.
5 "Que des lors on faisoit courir des epistres a faux titre, et sous le nom des seruiteurs de Dieu: a laquelle meschancete il leur estoit force de remedier par quelque moyen;" -- "That even then they put into circulation epistles under a false title, and in the name of the servants of God: to which wickedness he was under the necessity of employing a remedy by some means."