- [a] And there shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse, and a blossom shall come up from his root:
- and the Spirit of God shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and strength, the spirit of knowledge and godliness shall fill him;
- the spirit of the fear of God. He shall not judge according to appearance, nor reprove according to report:
- but he shall judge the cause of the lowly, and shall reprove the lowly of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the word of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he destroy the ungodly one.
- And he shall have his loins girt with righteousness, and his sides clothed with truth.
- And the wolf shall feed with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the young calf and bull and lion shall feed together; and a little child shall lead them.
- And the ox and bear shall feed together; and their young shall be together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
- And an infant shall put his hand on the holes of asps, and on the nest of young asps.
- And they shall not hurt, nor shall they at all be able to destroy any one on my holy mountain: for the whole world is filled with the knowledge of the Lord, as much water [b] covers the seas.
- And in that day [a] there shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall arise to rule over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust, and his rest shall be glorious.
- And it shall be in that day, that the Lord shall again shew his hand, to be zealous for the remnant that is left of the people, which shall be left by the Assyrians, and that from Egypt, and from the country of Babylon, and from Ethiopia, and from the Elamites, and from the rising of the sun, and out of Arabia.
- And he shall lift up a standard for the nations, and he shall gather the lost ones of Israel, and he shall gather the dispersed of Juda from the four corners of the earth.
- And the envy of Ephraim shall be taken away, and the enemies of Juda shall perish: Ephraim shall not envy Juda, and Juda shall not afflict Ephraim.
- And they shall fly in the ships of the Philistines: they shall at the same time spoil the [c] sea, and them that come from the east, and Idumea: and they shall lay their hands on Moab first; but the children of Ammon shall first obey them.
- And the Lord shall make desolate the sea of Egypt; and he shall lay his hand on the river with a strong wind, and he shall [d] smite the seven channels, so that men shall pass through it dry-shod.
- And there shall be a passage for my people that is left in Egypt: and it shall be to Israel as the day when he came forth out of the land of Egypt.
[a] Ro 15:12
[b] Gr. may cover
[c] sc. the west
[d] q.d. form by smiting
[English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee
Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons,
Ltd., London, 1851]