The islands were discovered by Ferdinand Magellan in 1521; were conquered by the Spanish from Mexico under Legaspi; and were subject to the crown of Spain, until, by the treaty of Paris, Dec. 10, 1898, they were ceded to the United States by right of conquest and for the additional consideration of $20,000,000. Upon taking possession the United States proceeded to reorganize the civil and judicial administration of the islands. Religious liberty was guaranteed by the treaty of Paris. The general government is modeled after that of the United States. The executive is composed of the governor-general who is the head of a commission of eight members appointed by the president of the United States and assigned as heads of the different departments. The commission serves as the upper house of legislation and the lower is elected by the people. The Supreme Court, composed of four American and three native judges, is also appointed by the American president. A limited franchise is granted to the natives outside of the Mohammedan islands. The population known as the Filipinos is not homogeneous, but consists of numerous tribes speaking many languages. The aborigines were the Negritos, who now number only 23,500; they are black, dwarfish, woollyhaired, thick-lipped, and dwell in the remote parts of the islands. The Malay or brown races constitute nine-tenths of the population, of which the principal are the Tagalogs, Visayans, Ilocanos, Moros, Bicals, and Igorrotes. There are small elements of negroes brought by the Spanish from Africa and Papua; of Indians brought from Mexico, Mongoloids, and whites. Immediately after the establishment of American sovereignty, a system of free public schools was established. In 1905-06 the average attendance per month was 375,554 out of a total of 1,200,000 between the ages of six and fifteen. In the latter year there were 3,340 schools (primary, intermediate, and high), 4,719 native, and 831 American teachers. The Roman Catholics in 1903 maintained 1,004 private schools with an enrolment of 63,545, and 325 religious schools with an enrolment of 26,478.
When the Spanish took possession their design was the establishment of a politico-religious sovereignty. The picturesque ceremonials of the Roman Catholic Church appealed to the natives, whose adherence to their own religious beliefs was weak while they were disunited by their diversities and rivalries. Great numbers of missionary friars of the Augustinian, Franciscan, Dominican, and Recollet orders came to the islands, to each of whom a charge was assigned. They labored with great success, the entire body of people yielding rapidly to conversion. At present only eight and one-half per cent of the inhabitants are classed as wild, while all the others are termed civilized. This was the result mainly of the devotion of the friars to parochial instruction and to the spiritual and physical welfare of the natives. The
Immediately after the Spanish cession, various Protestant churches in the United States took steps to enter the field by adopting in conference a plan of cooperation and union having in view the erection of "La Iglesia Evangelica Filipina," as the national church of the Filipinos. The Presbyterian Church established a permanent mission in 1899; the Methodist Episcopal, the same year; the Baptist in 1900; the Protestant Episcopal and Christian (Disciples) in 1901; the United Brethren in 1902; and the Congregational in 1903. In Apr., 1901, a federation of missions and churches was formed in Manila called " The Evangelical Union of the Philippine Islands." The field was to be mutually divided with Manila as the common center. The Presbyterian Board opened stations on Luzon, at Laguna and Albay, in 1903, and at Tayabas in 1906; at Iloilo, Panay, in 1900; at Dumaguete, Negros, in 1901; and in Cebu in 1902. The Ellinwood School at Manila became a theological seminary in 1907, conducted jointly by the Methodist Episcopal bishop and the presbytery. In 1901the Silliman Industrial Institute was established at Dumaguete. In 1908, 63 outstations were opened and the 20 churches had 4,127 members. In 1900 the Methodist Episcopal Church assumed the occupation of northern Luzon divided into three districts, which became a district conference in 1904. In 1908 there were 108 churches in the seven outstations with 25,000 communicants and 35,000 adherents. The American Baptist Missionary Union occupied the Visayan islands of Panay and Negros in the south in 1900, with Iloilo as a center. The work has been extended into Cebu. By 1908 there were 25 churches with 2,838 members. The Brotherhood of St. Andrew sent out two clergymen and two laymen in 1899, who established the Mission of the Holy Trinity. In 1901 Bishop Brent arrived and the islands became a mission district of the Protestant Episcopal Church. A cathedral and settlement-house have been established at Manila for the English-speaking people, and stations scattered among the natives. The Foreign Christian Missionary Society (Disciples), with stations at Manila, Laoag, Vigan, and Aparri, laying much stress on evangelistic work, have 29 churches and 2,505 members. The American Board planted a mission on Mindanao in 1901 and has a station at Davao and an outstation at Santa Cruz; and in 1908 the Mindanao Missions Medical Association was formed (in New York. The missions of the various denominations generally combine the industrial, medical, educational, and evangelizing features. There are (1908) 7 societies with 212 stations and outstations, 126 missionaries, 492 native helpers, 18 schools with 519 pupils, 8 hospitals, 194 churches with 35,000 communicants and 45,000 adherents, exclusive of Protestant Episcopalians.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: For lists of literature consult:
A. P. C. Griffin, Library of Congress,
List of Works Relating to . . . Philippine Islands, Washington, 1905;
J. A. Robertson, Bibliography of the Philippine Islands, Cleveland, 1908; and
Richardson, Encyclopaedia, p. 851. Works on geography and description are:
J. Montero, El Archipièlago Filipino, Madrid, 1888;
J. Foreman, The Philippine Islands, London. 1899;
R. Reyes Lala, The Philippine Islands, New York, 1899;
S. MacClintock, The Philippines, New York, 1903;
H. C. Stunts, The Philippines and the Far East, Cincinnati, 1904;
F. W. Atkinson, The Philippine Islands, Boston, 1905;
J. A. Le Roy, Philippine Life in Town and Country, New York, 1905;
D. C. Worcester, Philippine Islands and their People, New York, 1907.
For ethnology consult:
D. G. Brinton, Peoples of the Philippines, Washington, 1898;
A. B. Meyer, The Distribution of the Negritos in the Philippine Islands, Dresden, 1899;
F. Blumenthal, Die Philippines. Eine Darstellung der ethnographischen Verhältnis des Archipels, Hamburg, 1900;
F. H. Sawyer, The Inhabitants of the Philippines, London, 1900;
G. A. Koeze, Bijdrage tot de Anthropolopie der Philippijnen, Haarlem, 1901-04;
D. Folkmar, Album of Philippine Types, Manila, 1904; Ethnological Survey Publications, Manila,
On the history consult: M. Halstead, Story of the Philippines, New York, 1898; A. K. Fiske, Story of the Philippines, New York, 1899; J. Foreman, Philippine Islands,, New York, 1899; A. March, Hist. of the Philippines, New York, 1899; E. H. Blair and J. A. Robertson, The Philippine Islands, 1483-1805, Cleveland, 1903; idem The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898, 55 vols., ib. 1903-08
(giving text and translation of innumerable documents-a monumental work);
A. J. Brown, The New Era in the Philippines, New York, 1903;
A. de Morga, Hist. of the Philippine Islands, 2 vols., Cleveland, 1907;
D. B. Barrows, History of Philippines, New York, 1908.
For the religious side consult:
A. Coleman, The Friars in the Philippines, Boston, 1899;
J. T. Medina, El Tribunal de la Inquisición en las Islas Filipinas, Santiago, 1899;
F. Colin, Labor Evangelica, Ministeros de los Obreros de la Compania de Jesus . . . en las Islas Filipinas, 3 vols., Barcelona, 1900-1902;
E. Zamora, Las Corporaciones religiosaa en Filipinas, Valladolid, 1901.
For accounts of evangelical missionary work consult:
H. O. Dwight, The Blue Book of Missions, pp. 88--89, New York, 1907;
and the annual reports of the missionary societies at work there.
Calvin College. Last modified on 06/03/04. Contact the CCEL.