BERNARD, JOHN HENRY: Church of Ireland, dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin; b. at Raniganj, Bardwan (126 m. n.w. of Calcutta), India, July 27, 1860. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin (B.A., 1880), where he was elected fellow and tutor in 1884, retaining his fellowship until 1902. In 1886 he was ordained to the priesthood, and was chaplain to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1887 to 1902. Since 1888 he has been Archbishop King's lecturer in divinity in the University of Ireland, and has been dean of St. Patrick's since 1902, where he had already been treasurer from 1897 to 1902. He was examining chaplain to the bishop of Down in 1889, and was select preacher to the University of Oxford in 1893-1895 and to the University of Cambridge in 1898, 1901, and 1904. He has repeatedly been examiner in mental and moral philosophy for the India Civil Service, and has been a member of the Council of the University of Dublin since 1892, as well as a commissioner of national education for Ireland from 1697 to 1903. He was likewise a member of the General Synod of the Church of Ireland in 1894, and of the Representative Church Body in 1897, while in 1902 he became a warden of Alexandra College, Dublin, a commissioner of charitable donations and bequests for Ireland in 1904, and a visitor of Queen's College, Galway, in 1905. He has written or edited the following works: Kant's Critical Philosophy for English Readers (2 vols., London, 1889; in collaboration with J. P. Mahaffy); Kant's Criticism of Judgment (1892); From Faith to Faith (university sermons, 1895); Archbishop Benson in Ireland (1896); Via Domini (cathedral sermons, 1898); The Irish Liber Hymnorum (1898; in collaboration with R. Atkinson); The Pastoral Epistles, in The Cambridge Bible, (Cambridge, 1899); The Works of Bishop Butler (2 vols., London, 1900); The Second Epistle to the Corinthians, in The Expositor's Bible (1903); St. Patrick's Cathedral (1904); The Prayer of the Kingdom (1904); and has translated and edited The Pilgrimage of St. Silvia (1896) and other publications of The Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society.
BERNARD, THOMAS DEHANY: Church of England; b. at Clifton (a suburb of Bristol), Gloucestershire, Nov. 11, 1815; d. at Wimborne (21 m. n.e. of Dorchester), Dorsetshire, Dec. 7, 1904. He was educated at Exeter College, Oxford (B.A., 1838), was ordered deacon in 1840 and priest in the following year, and was successively curate and vicar of Great Baddow, Essex (1840-46), vicar of Terling, Essex (1848), and rector of Walcot, Somerset (1863-86). He was prebendary of Haselbere and canon resident of Wells Cathedral from 1868 to 1901, and chancellor of the same cathedral after 1879, while from 1880 to 1895 he was proctor for the dean and chapter of Wells. He was also select preacher at Oxford in 1855, 1862, and 1882, and was Bampton Lecturer in 1864. He wrote The Witness of God (university sermons, London, 1862); Progress of Doctrine in the New Testament (Bampton lectures, 1864, 4th ed., 1878); The Central Teaching of Jesus Christ (1892); and The Songs of the Holy Nativity (1895).
Calvin College. Last modified on 05/10/04. Contact the CCEL.