BLUNT, JOHN HENRY: Church of England scholar; b. in Chelsea, London, Aug. 25, 1823; d. in London Apr. 11, 1884. He gave up a business career for the ministry, studied at University College, Durham (M.A., 1855), and was ordained priest in 1855; after filling a number of curacies, he became in 1868 vicar of Kensington, near Oxford, and in 1873 rector of Beverston, Gloucestershire. He was a pronounced High-churchman, and an indefatigable writer both of articles for the periodicals and of books; among his works are a number of useful theological and Biblical compends, such as The Annotated Book of Common Prayer (2 vols., London, 1866; new ed., 1895); Dictionary of Doctrinal and Historical Theology (1870); The Book of Church Law (1872; 9th ed., revised by W. G. F. Phillimore and G. E. Jones, 1901); Dictionary of Sects, Heresies, Ecclesiastical Parties, and Schools of Religious Thought (1874); The Annotated Bible: being a household commentary upon the Holy Scriptures, comprehending the results of modern discovery and criticism (3 vols., 1879-82); A Companion to the New Testament (1881); A Companion to the Old Testament (1883); also an important history of The Reformation of the Church of England (2 vols., 1869-82). At the time of his death he was working upon a Cyclopdia of Religion (1884).
BLUNT, JOHN JAMES: English theologian; b. at Newcastle-under-Lyme (15 m. n.n.w. of Stafford), Staffordshire, 1794; d. at Cambridge June 18, 1856. He studied at St. John's College, Cambridge (B.A., and fellow, 1816; M.A., 1819;
BLYTH, GEORGE FRANCIS POPHAM: Anglican bishop in Jerusalem and the East; b. at Beverley (9 m. n.n.w. of Hull), Yorkshire, in 1832. He was educated at Lincoln College, Oxford (B.A., 1854), and was ordered deacon in 1855, and ordained priest in the following year. He was successively curate of Westport St. Mary's, Wiltshire (1855-61), and Sigglesthorne, Yorkshire (1861-63), and chaplain to the earl of Kimberley (1863-66). He then went to India, was chaplain of the ecclesiastical establishment at Allahabad (1866-67), and was attached to the cathedral of Calcutta and chaplain to the bishop of Calcutta (1867-68). He was then stationed successively at Barrackpur, Bengal (1868-74), Naini-Tal, North-West Provinces (1874-77), and Fort William, Bengal (1877-1878), after which he was archdeacon of the pro-cathedral at Rangoon from 1879 to 1887. In the latter year he was consecrated bishop in Jerusalem and the East. He has written The Holy Week and Forty Days (2 vols., London, 1879).
Calvin College. Last modified on 05/10/04. Contact the CCEL.