Recording Audio/MP3 Books: Reservations, Information, and Completed Books
CCEL is always looking for volunteers to read/record audio books in MP3 format. Volunteers might be surprised how little technical experience is involved in this task, and recording books is a valuable resource for many of our members who are visually impaired or enjoy listening to audio books.
To get started, find a book in the CCEL that you would like to read, setup a microphone and a recording program on your computer, and read a small section of the book to create an MP3 file. Email us the sample file at email@example.com, and we'll listen to it and possibly provide some feedback. Any book at CCEL that does not already have an MP3 version (and books that are already reserved; see below) could be recorded, but it might be a good idea to check this complete listing of CCEL MP3 files of MP3 books available at CCEL to make sure your recording work is not done in vain.
You can download free Software to record the book. We suggest Audacity, but there are hundreds good of options.You will also need a microphone which can be purchased for less than $5, but we suggest getting a microphone in the $20+ range if possible as cheap microphones tend to have poorer sound quality.
When you create the recording, ensure that you are saving the file as an MP3. It's probably a good idea to listen to an audio book introduction as you'll need to include this with your recording. We ask that the introduction include a brief greeting, your name, thet title and author of the book, and CCEL/Christian Classics Ethereal library should be mentioned. It would be nice to include the date, but I think this information is missing from most of the introductions. Here's a link to an audio book that one of our volunteers recorded for CCEL: The True Vine.
Contact Ken Verhulst at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Audio Book reservations (Books that are currently being recorded)
Luther's Bondage of Will (no longer reserved)
Tracy has reserved Purpose in Prayer. Also, At the Master's Feet by Singh [November 18, 2016]
Brother Mark has reserved Living Flame of Love by St. John of the Cross (11/23/16).
Lynn has reserved The Kneeling Christian (5/2/2014>
Leighton Garner has reserved Gospel Grounds and Evidence of the Faith of God's Elect by John Bunyon . (2/6/2016)
Rene LaCroix has reserved Life and Death of Mr. Badman by John Bunyan and At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald. (6/16/2016)
Recently Completed Audio Books
Brother Mark Dextraze recorded the following books:
1) Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal(6/25/14)
2) The Cloud of the Unknowing [anonymous](9/30/2014)
3) The Mind's Road to God by Bonaventure. (9/30/14)
4) Some Letters of Saint Bernard, Abbot of Clairvauz by St. Bernard of Clairvaux. (July 9, 2015)
5) Ascent of Mount Carmel by St. John of the Cross. (November 8, 2016)
6) Spiritual Canticle of the Soul and the Bridegroom Christ by St. John of the Cross. (January 20, 2017)
Leighton Garner has completed the following books:
1) Spiritual Progress (also called Spiritual Letters) in 5 parts by 3 authors. This section has writings by Pere La Combe.
2) Spiritual Progress (also called 40 Spiritual Maxims ) in 5 parts by 3 authors. This section has writings by François Fénelon.(June 30, 2010)
3) On the Christian Life by John Calvin.
4) Westminster Shorter Catechism (anonymous)
Rene LaCroix has completed the following books:
1) Comfort for Christians by A.W. Pink
2) Golden Grain by John Wright Follette
3) The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink
4) The Deeper Christian Life by Andrew Murray
5) The Monkey Who wouldn't Kill by Henry Drummond
6) The Person of Christ: Miracle of History by Pilip Schaff
7) The True Vine by Andrew Murray
8) The Antichrist by A. W. Pink
9) The Two Covenants by Andrew Murray
Kevin Spalding recorded the following books:
1) Rule of St. Benedict by St. Benedict
2) Uniformity With God's Will by St. Alphonsus
3) Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis of Sales
4) Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius of Loyola
5) On Cleaving to God by Albert the Great
6) Dark Night of the Soul bySt. John of the Cross
Rich Strange has completed the following books:
1) Christian's Secret of a Happy Life by Hannah Whitall Smith (8/11/2015)
Tracy recorded the following books:
1) Centuries of Meditations by Thomas Traherne
*1st Century by Thomas Traherne (completed 2/16/15)
*2nd Century by Thomas Traherne (completed 3/12/15)
*3rd Century by Thomas Traherne (completed 11/11/16)
*4th Century by Thomas Traherne (completed 11/12/16)
*5th Century and notes by Thomas Traherne (completed 6/25/15)
2)Weapon of Prayer by Edward M. Bounds (2/3/2016)
3) The Master's Indwelling by Andrew Murray (9/13/2016)
4) Necessity of Prayer by E.M. Bounds (2/8/2017)