Forum Frequently Asked Questions
- I noticed that there are Google ads showing on some pages. Some of them don't seem to be appropriate or are offensive. What can we do? We are able to ban any specific Google ad that is offensive, inappropriate, or untrue. However, we need to hear from our users about which ads these are, and we need the specific Web site address of the ad in order to ban it from our site. If you email Brian Vanderwal with that information, he will ban the ads you request.
- I would love to donate but we are poor and have little money. I would be willing to volunteer my time editing or reading something as an audio book. How can I help? You are welcome to download without contributing, and you are welcome to volunteer. Sadly, sustaining and building a digital library like this does require money. To volunteer contact Ken Verhulst or join the volunteers group and find an area that you can help out in.
- I really want to make some donation for this Web site. How do I do that? When you are ready, you make purchases by clicking on the "store" tab, or donations by clicking on the "support" tab and following the instructions.
- I have a product that I would like to advertise on your site. Who do I contact to talk about advertising and rates? You can read the "Advertise with the Christian Classics Ethereal Library" page under the support page and contact Nyna Sykes from there.
- I would like to know the preferred (or official) way to cite a document I found through the CCEL on the forum posts. Here are some examples of posting quotes on the forums.
- Quotes from web books -
"My one great desire has been to ask Christians whether they are really seeking to find out what exactly God wants them to be, and is ......."
WELLINGTON, SOUTH AFRICA,
1st November 1898.
From The Book of Common Prayer, (New York: The Church Hymnal Corporation, 1979), pp 864 - 865.
Quicunque Vult commonly called The Creed of Saint Athanasius
"Whosoever will be saved, before ....."
- Quotes from the Bible -
- 2 Cor 5:8 “We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.”
- Phil 1:23 “I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.”
- Responding to an earlier post on the same thread (unbolded is the quote, bold the response) -
- PastorDave said -
This is only a half-truth as “the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.” It is a given that men can and have added to the foundation, but it is this “work” of the leaders/planters that is tried. Not the men themselves. (We can see this in greater detail in point 3 below.)
No the verse does not say that it is the leaders planters work which is tried, it says every man's work is tried. Nice try! :) (do you like the pun?) But the verse just does not say that.
- Ensure that your browser supports cookies from ccel.org and www.ccel.org. Internet Explorers users: "Tools" menu -> "Internet Options" -> "Privacy" tab Firefox users: "Tools" menu -> "Options" -> "Privacy" tab -> "Cookies" tab
- After registering for an account, you must retrieve your password from the email sent to the email address you specified before attempting to log in. Check your junk mail folder.
- The link contained in the registration email will only work for a single time and a single day. After this, you must log in via your username and password.
- Remember that passwords are case-sensitive. Ensure that caps-lock is not on.
- If you forget your password, you can request a new one from the request password page. This will send you a one time use link allowing you to log in. If you wait more than a day before using this link, the link will expire and you will need to request your password again.
There are 2 settings to turn on or off email generated by posts from the groups that you are a member of.
The first setting:
Top Right margin look for "My Account" and click on it.
Click on the "Edit" tab.
Scroll down to "Email Notifications" make the selection you desire.
*Never send email notifications. Useful when tracking activity via RSS feed instead.
*Always send email notifications
*Selectively send email notification based on the checkbox for each of my group's My Subscription page
I use the third option.
Go to the bottom of the page and click on submit or all this is wasted effort.
Choosing 1 or 2 in "My Account" is a global selection that turns the emails, for all the Groups that you are a member of, on or off.
If you choose the third option you need to edit each group that you are a member of. Decide which groups you want to receive emails from and continue with the second setting.
The second setting:
Enter each group that you are a member of.
Go to the top of the left margin and click on "My Subscription"
You will see a section called "Email notification".
Make your selection. Remember that this will only affect this one group. You need to do this for all groups that you are a member of.
Click on "submit".
Making this selection in "My Subscription" will not work if you chose option 1 or 2 in "My Account".
- if you can think of any other questions that you would like added to this list please post them here. thx. -