Helgi Hálfdánarson was born in 1826. After
graduating from the College in Reykjavik he
studied Theology in the University of Copenhagen.
He was ordained in 1854. In 1867 he
became a professor on the staff of the Theological
Seminary in Reykjavik. In 1885 he succeeded
to the office of Principal, a post which he held till
his death in 1894. A man of a sincere Christian
character, a Lutheran of the old school, his influence
lives on not least in the admirable translations
of foreign hymns which he bequeathed as
a legacy to the Icelandic Church.