Part II. Anthropology
Chapter I. Origin of Man.
1. Scriptural Doctrine.
2. Anti-Scriptural Theories.
3. Antiquity of Man.
Chapter II. Nature of Man.
1. Scripture Doctrine
4. Another form of the Realistic Theory.
Chapter III. The Origin of the Soul.
1. Theory of Preëxistence.
4. Concluding Remarks.
Chapter IV. Unity of the Human Race.
1. Meaning of the Word, or the Idea of Species.
2. Evidence of Identity of Species.
3. Application of these Criteria to Man.
4. Philological and Moral Evidence
Chapter V. Original State of Man.
1. The Scriptural Doctrine.
2. Man Created in the Image of God.
3. Original Righteousness.
4. Dominion over the Creatures.
5. The Doctrine of the Romish Church.
6. Pelagian and Rationalistic Doctrine.
Chapter VI. Covenant of Works.
1. God entered into Covenant with Adam.
2. The Promise.
3. Condition of the Covenant.
4. The Penalty.
5. The Parties to the Covenant of Works.
6. Perpetuity of the Covenant of Works
Chapter VII. The Fall.
Chapter VIII. Sin.
1. The Nature of the Question to be Considered.
2. Philosophical Theories of the Nature of Sin.
3. The Doctrine of the Early Church.
4. Pelagian Theory.
5. Augustinian Doctrine.
6. Doctrine of the Church of Rome.
7. Protestant Doctrine of Sin.
8. The Effects of Adam’s Sin upon his Posterity.
9. Immediate Imputation.
10. Mediate Imputation.
12. Realistic Theory.
13. Original Sin.
14. The Seat of Original Sin.
Chapter IX. Free Agency.
1. Different Theories of the Will.
2. Definition of Terms.
3. Certainty Consistent with Liberty.
Part III. Soteriology.
Chapter I. The Plan of Salvation.
1. God has such a Plan.
4. Hypothetical Redemption.
5. The Lutheran Doctrine as to the Plan of Salvation.
6. The Remonstrant Doctrine.
7. Wesleyan Arminianism.
8. The Augustinian Scheme.
9. Objections to the Augustinian Scheme.
Chapter II. The Covenant of Grace.
1. The Plan of Salvation is a Covenant.
2. Different Views of the Nature of this Covenant.
3. Parties to the Covenant.
4. Covenant of Redemption.
5. The Covenant of Grace.
6. The Identity of the Covenant of Grace under all Dispensations.
7. Different Dispensations.
Chapter III. Person of Christ.
1. Preliminary Remarks.
2. The Scriptural Facts concerning the Person of Christ.
3. The Hypostatical Union.
4. Consequences of the Hypostatical Union.
5. Erroneous and Heretical Doctrines on the Person of Christ.
6. Doctrine of the Reformed Churches.
7. Lutheran Doctrine.
8. Later Forms of the Doctrine.
9. Modern Forms of the Doctrine.
Chapter IV. The Mediatorial Work Of Christ.
1. Christ the only Mediator.
2. Qualifications for the Work.
3. The Threefold Office of Christ.
Chapter V. Prophetic Office.
1. Nature of the Prophetic Office.
2. How Christ executes the Office of a Prophet.
Chapter VI. Priestly Office.
1. Christ is truly, not figuratively, a Priest.
2. Christ our only Priest.
3. Definition of Terms
Chapter VII. Satisfaction of Christ.
1. Statement of the Doctrine.
2. The Intrinsic Worth of Christ’s Satisfaction.
3. Doctrine of the Scotists and Remonstrants.
4. Satisfaction rendered to Justice.
5. The Work of Christ Satisfies the Demands of the Law.
6. Proof of the Doctrine.
Chapter VIII. For Whom Did Christ Die?
1. State of the Question.
2. Proof of the Augustinian Doctrine.
Chapter IX. Theories of the Atonement.
1. The Orthodox View.
2. Doctrine of some of the Fathers.
3. The Moral Theory.
4. The Governmental Theory.
5. The Mystical Theory.
6. Concluding Remarks.
Chapter X. Intercession of Christ.
1. Christ our Intercessor.
2. Its Nature.
3. Its Objects.
4. Intercession of Saints.
Chapter XI. Kingly Office of Christ.
1. The Church God’s Kingdom.
2. Christ is truly a King.
3. Nature of Christ’s Kingdom.
4. The Kingdom of Glory.
Chapter XII. Humiliation of Christ.
1. Includes his Incarnation.
2. He was made under the Law.
3. His Sufferings and Death.
4. He endured the Wrath of God.
5. His Death and Burial.
Chapter XIII. The Exaltation of Christ.
1. Resurrection of Christ.
2. Ascension of Christ.
3. Sitting at the Right Hand of God.
4. Christ’s coming to judge the World.
Chapter XIV. Vocation.
1. Scriptural Usage of the Word.
3. Common Grace.
4. Efficacious Grace.
5. Proof of the Doctrine.
7. History of the Doctrine of Grace.
Index of Scripture References
Greek Words and Phrases
Hebrew Words and Phrases
Latin Words and Phrases
German Words and Phrases
French Words and Phrases
Index of Pages of the Print Edition