1 Now these (are) the generations of Esau, who (is) Edom.
1. Istae vero sunt generationes Esau, hic est Edom.
2. Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite;
2. Esau accepit uxores suas e filiabus Chenaan, Hadah filiam Elon Hittaei, et Aholibamah filiam Anah, filiam Sibhon Hivvaei,
3. And Bashemath Ishmael's daughter, sister of Nebajoth.
3. Et Bosmath filiam Ismael sororem Nebajoth.
4. And Adah bare to Esau Eliphaz; and Bashemath bare Reuel;
4. Et peperit Adah ipsi Esau Eliphaz: et Bosmath peperit Rehuel.
5. And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these (are) the sons of Esau, which were born unto him in the land of Canaan.
5. Et Aholibamah peperit Jehus, et Jahalam, et Corah: isti filii Esau, qui nati sunt ei in terra Chenaan.
6. And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the persons of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his substance, which he had got in the land of Canaan; and went into the country from the face of his brother Jacob.
6. Et accepit Esau uxores suas, et filios suos, et filias suas, et omnes animas domus suae, et pecudes suas, et omnia jumenta sua, et omnem acquisitionem suam, quam acquisierat in terra Chenaan: et profectus est ad aaliam terram a facie Iahacob fratris sui.
7. For their riches were more than that they might dwell together; and the land wherein they were strangers could not bear them because of their cattle.
7. Erat enim substantia eorum multa, ita ut nequirent habitare pariter: nec poterat terra peregrinationum eorum ferre eos propter substantiam eorum.
8. Thus dwelt Esau in mount Seir: Esau (is) Edom.
8. Habitavit itaque Esau in monte Sehir: Esau est Edom.
9. And these (are) the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in mount Seir:
9. Ac istae sunt generationes Esau patris Edom in monte Sehir.
10. These (are) the names of Esau's sons; Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau, Reuel the son of Bashemath the wife of Esau.
10. Ista sunt nomina filiorum Esau: Eliphaz filius Hadah uxoris Esau, Rehuel filius Bosmath uxoris Esau.
11. And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz.
11. Et fuerunt filii Eliphaz, Theman, Omar, Sepho, et Gahatham, et Cenaz.
12. And Timna was concubine to Eliphaz Esau's son; and she bare to Eliphaz Amalek: these (were) the sons of Adah Esau's wife.
12. Timnah autem fuit concubina Eliphaz filii Esau, et peperit ipsi Eliphaz Hamalec. Isti sunt filii Hadah uxoris Esau.
13. And these (are) the sons of Reuel; Nahath, and Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah: these were the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.
13. Isti vero sunt filii Rehuel: Nahath, et Zerach, Sammah, et Mizza: isti sunt filii Bosmath uxoris Esau.
14. And these were the sons of Aholibamah, the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon, Esau's wife: and she bare to Esau Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah.
14. Et isti fuerunt filii Aholibamah filiae Hanah filiae Sibhon uxoris Esau, quos peperit ipsi Esau: Jehu, et Jahalam, et Corah.
15. These (were) dukes of the sons of Esau: the sons of Eliphaz the firstborn (son) of Esau; duke Teman, duke Omar, duke Zepho, duke Kenaz,
15. Isti duces filiorum Esau. Filii Eliphaz primogeniti Esau, dux Theman, dux Omar, dux Sepho, dux Chenaz,
16. Duke Korah, duke Gatam, (and) duke Amalek: these (are) the dukes (that came) of Eliphaz in the land of Edom; these (were) the sons of Adah.
16. Dux Corah, dux Gahatham, dux Hamalex: isti sunt duces Eliphaz in terra Edom: isti sunt filii Hadah.
17. And these (are) the sons of Reuel Esau's son; duke Nahath, duke Zerah, duke Shammah, duke Mizzah: these (are) the dukes (that came) of Reuel in the land of Edom; these (are) the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife.
17. Et isti sunt filii Rehuel filii Esau: dux Nahath, dux Zerach, dux Sammah, dux Mizzah: isti sunt duces Rehuel in terra Edom: isti sunt filii Bosmath uxoris Esau.
18. And these (are) the sons of Aholibamah Esau's wife; duke Jeush, duke Jaalam, duke Korah: these (were) the dukes (that came) of Aholibamah the daughter of Anah, Esau's wife.
18. Isti autem sunt filii Aholibamah uxoris Esau, dux Jehus, dux Jahalam, dux Corah: isti sunt duces Aholibamah filiae Hanah uxoris Esau.
19. These (are) the sons of Esau, who (is) Edom, and these (are) their dukes.
19. Isti sunt filii Esau, et isti duces eorum: ipse est Edom.
20. These (are) the sons of Seir the Horite, who inhabited the land; Lotan, and Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah,
20. Isti sunt filii Sehir Horaei, habitatores terrae: Lotan, et Sobal, et Sibhon, et Hanah,
21. And Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan: these (are) the dukes of the Horites, the children of Seir in the land of Edom.
21. Et Dison, et Eser, et Disan. Isti duces Horaeorum filiorum Sehir in terra Edom.
22. And the children of Lotan were Hori and Hemam; and Lotan's sister (was) Timna.
22. Et fuerunt filii, Lotan, Hori, et Heman: et soror Lotan, Thimnah.
23. And the children of Shobal (were) these; Alvan, and Manahath, and Ebal, Shepho, and Onam.
23. Isti sunt filii Sobal: Halvan, et Manahath, et Hebal, Sepho, et Onam.
24. And these (are) the children of Zibeon; both Ajah, and Anah: this (was that) Anah that found the mules in the wilderness, as he fed the asses of Zibeon his father.
24. Et isti sunt filii Sibhon: Ajah et Hanah: hic est Hanah, qui invenit mulos in deserto, quum passceret asinos Sibhon patris sui.
25. And the children of Anah (were) these; Dishon, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah.
25. Et isti sunt filii Hanah: Disan, et Aholibamah filia Hanah.
26 .And these (are) the children of Dishon; Hemdan, and Eshban, and Ithran, and Cheran.
26. Et isti sunt filii Dison: Hemdan, et Esban, et Ithran, et Cheran.
27. The children of Ezer (are) these; Bilhan, and Zaavan, and Akan.
27. Isti sunt filii Eser: Bilhan, et Zaavan, et Acan.
28. The children of Dishan (are) these; Uz, and Aran.
28. Isti sunt filii Disan: Us et Aran.
29. These (are) the dukes (that came) of the Horites; duke Lotan, duke Shobal, duke Zibeon, duke Anah,
29. Isti sunt duces Horaeorum: dux Lotan, dux Sobal, dux Sibhon, dux Hanah.
30. Duke Dishon, duke Ezer, duke Dishan: these (are) the dukes (that came) of Hori, among their dukes in the land of Seir.
30. Dux Dison, dux Eser, dux Disan: isti sunt duces Horaeorum, in ducibus eorum, in terra Sebir.
31. And these (are) the kings that reigned in the land of Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel.
31. Et isti sunt reges, qui regnaverunt in terra Edom, antequam regnaret rex super filios Israel.
32. And Bela the son of Beor reigned in Edom: and the name of his city (was) Dinhabah.
32. Nempe regnavit in Edom, Belah filius Behor: et nomen urbis ejus Dinhabah.
33. And Bela died, and Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his stead.
33. Et mortuus est Belah, et regnavit pro eo Jobab, filius Zerah de Bosrah.
34. And Jobab died, and Husham of the land of Temani reigned in his stead.
34. Et mortuus est Jobab, et regnavit pro eo Hussam e terra Australi.
35. And Husham died, and Hadad the son of Bedad, who smote Midian in the field of Moab, reigned in his stead: and the name of his city (was) Avith.
35. Et mortuus est Hussam, et regnavit pro eo Hadad filius Bedad, qui percussit Midian in agro Moab: et nomen urbis ejus Avith.
36. And Hadad died, and Samlah of Masrekah reigned in his stead.
36. Et mortuus est Hadad, et regnavit pro eo Samlah de Masrecah.
37. And Samlah died, and Saul of Rehoboth (by) the river reigned in his stead.
37. Et mortuus est Samlah, et regnavit pro eo Saul de Rehoboth fluminis.
38. And Saul died, and Baalhanan the son of Achbor reigned in his stead.
38. Et mortuus est Saul et regnavit pro eo Balah-hanan filius Hachbor.
39. And Baalhanan the son of Achbor died, and Hadar reigned in his stead: and the name of his city (was) Pau; and his wife's name (was) Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab.
39. Et mortuus est Balhal-hanan filius Hachbor, et regnavit pro eo Hadar: et nomen civitatis ejus Pahu: nomen autem uxoris ejus Mehetabel filia Matred filiae Me -- zahab.
40. And these (are) the names of the dukes (that came) of Esau, according to their families, after their places, by their names; duke Timnah, duke Alvah, duke Jetheth,
40. Ista ergo sunt nomina ducum Esau, per familias suas, per loca sua, secundum nomina sua: dux Thimnah, dux Haluah, dux Jetheth,
41. Duke Aholibamah, duke Elah, duke Pinon,
41. Dux Aholibamah, dux Eliah, dux Pinon,
42. Duke Kenaz, duke Teman, duke Mibzar,
42. Dux Cenaz, dux Theman, dux Mibsar,
43. Duke Magdiel, duke Iram: these (be) the dukes of Edom, according to their habitations in the land of their possession: he (is) Esau the father of the Edomites.
43. Dux Magdiel, dux Hiram: isti sunt duces Edom per habitationes suas, in terra haereditatis ipsorum: ipse est Esau pater Edom.
"The children's children shall dwell there, and their inheritance shall be perpetual." (Psalm 102:28.)
1 Quemadmodum Gallice dicitur, Il s'en est alle a son aventure.
2 Patris Edom.
3 The word