- And the word of the Lord Almighty came, saying,
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; I have been jealous for Jerusalem
and for Sion with great jealousy, and I have been jealous for her with
- Thus saith the Lord; I will return to Sion, and dwell in the midst
of Jerusalem: and Jerusalem shall be called a true city, and the
mountain of the Lord Almighty a holy mountain.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; There shall yet dwell old men and
old women in the streets of Jerusalem, every one holding his staff in
his hand for age.
- And the broad places of the city shall be filled with boys and
girls playing in the streets thereof.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; If it shall be impossible in the
sight of the remnant of this people in those days, shall it also be
impossible in my sight? saith the Lord Almighty.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; Behold, I will save my
people from the east country, and the west country;
- and I will bring them in, and cause them to dwell in the
midst of Jerusalem: and they shall be to me a people, and I will be to
them a God, in truth and in righteousness.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; Let your hands be strong, ye
that hear in these days these words out of the mouth of the
prophets, from the day that the house of the Lord Almighty was
founded, and from the time that the temple was built.
- For before those days the wages of men could not be profitable,
and there could be no hire of cattle, and there could be no peace by
reason of the affliction to him that went out or to him that came in:
for I would have let loose all men, every one against his neighbour.
- But now I will not do to the remnant of this people
according to the former days, saith the Lord Almighty.
- But I will shew peace: the vine shall yield her fruit, and the
land shall yield her produce, and the heaven shall give its dew: and I
will give as an inheritance all these things to the remnant of my
- And it shall come to pass, as ye were a curse among the nations, O
house of Juda, and house of Israel; so will I save you, and ye shall
be a blessing: be of good courage, and strengthen your hands.
- For thus saith the Lord Almighty; As I took counsel to afflict you
when your fathers provoked me, saith the Lord Almighty, and I repented
- so have I prepared and taken counsel in these days to do good to
Jerusalem and to the house of Juda: be ye of good courage.
- These are the things which ye shall do; speak truth every
one with his neighbour; judge truth and peaceable judgment in your
- and let none of you devise evil in his heart against his
neighbour; and love not a false oath: for all these things I hate,
saith the Lord Almighty.
- And the word of the Lord Almighty came to me, saying,
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty, The fourth fast, and the fifth fast,
and the seventh fast, and the tenth fast, shall be to the house of
Juda for joy and gladness, and for good feasts; and ye shall rejoice;
and love ye the truth and peace.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; Yet shall many peoples come, and
inhabitants of many cities;
- and the inhabitants of five cities shall come together to one
city, saying, Let us go to make supplication to the Lord, and to seek
the face of the Lord Almighty; I will go also.
- And many peoples and many nations shall come to seek earnestly the
face of the Lord Almighty in Jerusalem, and to [a] obtain favour of the Lord.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; In those days my word shall be
fulfilled if ten men of all the languages of the nations should
take hold -- even take hold of the hem of a Jew, saying, We will go
with thee; for we have heard that God is with you.
[a] Gr. conciliate the face of the Lord.
[English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee
Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons,
Ltd., London, 1851]