Aggæus. Chapter 1|2
- IN the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the
first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the hand
of the prophet Aggæus, saying, Speak to Zorobabel the son of
Salathiel, of the tribe of Juda, and to [a] Jesus the son of Josedec, the high
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty, saying, This people say, The time is
not come to build the house of the Lord.
- And the word of the Lord came by the hand of the prophet
- Is it time for you to dwell in your ceiled houses, whereas our
house is desolate?
- And now thus saith the Lord Almighty; Consider our ways, I pray
- Ye have sown much, but brought in little; ye have eaten, and are
not satisfied; ye have drunk, and are not satisfied with drink, ye
have clothed yourselves, and have not become warm [b] thereby: and he that earns wages has
gathered them into a bag full of holes.
- Thus saith the Lord Almighty; Consider your ways.
- Go up to the mountain, and cut timber; build the house, and I will
take pleasure in it, and be glorified, saith the Lord.
- Ye looked for much, and there came little; and it was brought into
the house, and I blew it away. Therefore thus saith the Lord Almighty,
Because my house is desolate, and ye run every one into his own house;
- therefore shall the sky withhold dew, and the earth shall keep
back her produce.
- And I will bring a sword upon the land, and upon the mountains,
and upon the corn, and upon the wine, and upon the oil, and all that
the earth produces, and upon the men, and upon the cattle, and upon
all the labours of their hands.
- And Zorobabel the son of Salathiel, of the tribe of Juda, and
Jesus the son of Josedec, the high priest, and all the remnant of the
people, hearkened to the voice of the Lord their God, and the words of
the prophet Aggæus, according as the Lord their God had sent him
to them, and the people feared before the Lord.
- And Aggæus the Lord's messenger spoke among the messengers
of the Lord to the people, saying, I am with you, saith the
- And the Lord stirred up the spirit of Zorobabel the son of
Salathiel, of the tribe of Juda, and the spirit of Jesus the son of
Josedec, the high priest, and the spirit of the remnant of all the
people; and they went in, and wrought in the house of the Lord
Almighty their God, on the four and twentieth day of the
sixth month, in the second year of Darius the king.
[a] Or, Joshua.
[b] Gr. in them.
[English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee
Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons,
Ltd., London, 1851]