- For, behold, in those days and at that me, when I shall have
turned the captivity of Juda and Jerusalem,
- I will also gather all the [a]
Gentiles, and bring them down to the valley of Josaphat, and will
plead with them there for my people and my heritage Israel, who have
been dispersed among the Gentiles; and these Gentiles have
divided my land,
- and cast lots over my people, and have given their boys
to harlots, and sold their girls for wine, and have drunk.
- And what have ye to do with me, 0 Tyre, and Sidon, and all
Galilee of the [b] Gentiles? do ye render
me a recompense? or do ye bear malice against me? quickly and
speedily will I return your recompense on your own heads:
- because ye have taken my silver and my gold, and ye have brought
my choice ornaments into your temples;
- and ye have sold the children of Juda and the children of
Jerusalem to the children of the Greeks, that ye might expel them
from their coasts.
- Therefore, behold I will raise them up out of the place
whither ye have sold them, and I will return your recompense on your
- And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hands of
the children of Juda, and they shall sell them into captivity to a
far distant nation: for the Lord has spoken it.
- Proclaim these things among the Gentiles; [c] declare war, arouse the warriors, draw
near and go up, all ye men of war.
- Beat your ploughshares into swords, and your sickles into [d] spears: let the weak say, I am strong.
- Gather yourselves together, and go in, all ye nations round about,
and gather yourselves there: let the [e]
timid become a warrior.
- Let them be aroused, let all the nations go up to the valley of
Josaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the Gentiles round about.
- Bring forth the sickles, for the vintage is come: go in, tread
the grapes, for the press is full: cause the vats to
overflow; for their wickedness is multiplied.
- Noises have resounded in the valley of judgment: for the day of
the Lord is near in the valley of judgment.
- The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall
withdraw their light.
- And the Lord shall cry out of Sion, and shall utter his voice from
Jerusalem; and the heaven and the earth shall be shaken, but the Lord
shall spare his people, and shall strengthen the children of Israel.
- And ye shall know that I am the Lord your God, who dwell in Sion
my holy mountain: and Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall not
pass through her any more.
- And it shall come to pass in that day that the mountains
shall drop sweet wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the
[f] fountains of Juda shall flow with
water, and a fountain shall go forth of the house of the Lord, and
water the valley of flags.
- Egypt shall be a desolation, and Idumea shall be a desolate plain,
because of the wrongs of the children of Juda, because they have shed
righteous blood in their land.
- But Judea shall be inhabited for ever, and Jerusalem to all
- And I will make inquisition for their blood, and will by no means
leave it unavenged: and the Lord shall dwell in Sion.
[a] Or, nations. See Mat. 25. 31.
[b] a)llofulwn, usually Philistines.
[c] Gr. sanctify.
[d] Or, daggers.
[e] Gr. meek.
[f] See chap. 1. 20.
[English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee
Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons,
Ltd., London, 1851]