- Now these are the generations of the sons of Noe, Sem,
Cham, Japheth; and sons were born to them after the flood.
- The sons of Japheth, Gamer, and Magog, and Madoi, and Jovan, and
Elisa, and Thobel, and Mosoch, and Thiras.
- And the sons of Gamer, Aschanaz, and Riphath, and Thorgama.
- And the sons of Jovan, Elisa, and Tharseis, Cetians, Rhodians.
- From these were the islands of the Gentiles divided in their land,
each according to his tongue, in their tribes and in their nations.
- And the sons of Cham, Chus, and Mesrain, Phud, and Chanaan.
- And the sons of Chus, Saba, and Evila, and Sabatha, and Rhegma,
and Sabathaca. And the sons of Rhegma, Saba, and Dadan.
- And Chus begot Nebrod: he began to be a giant upon the earth.
- He was a giant hunter before the Lord God; therefore they say, As
Nebrod the giant hunter before the Lord.
- And the beginning of his kingdom was Babylon, and Orech, and
Archad, and Chalanne, in the land of Senaar.
- Out of that land came Assur, and built Ninevi, and the city
Rhooboth, and Chalach,
- and Dase between Ninevi and Chalach: this is the great city.
- And Mesrain begot the Ludiim and the Nephthalim, and the
Enemetiim, and the Labiim,
- and the Patrosoniim and the Chasmoniim (whence came forth
Phylistiim) and the Gaphthoriim.
- And Chanaan begot Sidon his first-born and the Chettite,
- and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite,
- and the Evite, and the Arukite, and the Asennite,
- and the Aradian, and the Samarean, and the Amathite; and after
this the tribes of the Chananites were dispersed.
- And the boundaries of the Chananites were from Sidon till one
comes to Gerara and Gaza, till one comes to Sodom and Gomorrha, Adama
and Seboim, as far as Dasa.
- These were the sons of Cham in their tribes according to
their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
- And to Sem himself also were children born, the father of all the
sons of Heber, the brother of Japheth the elder.
- Sons of Sem, Elam, and Assur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram, and
- And sons of Aram, Uz, and Ul, and Gater, and Mosoch.
- And Arphaxad begot Cainan and Cainan begot Sala. And Sala begot
- And to Heber were born two sons, the name of the one, Phaleg,
because in his days the earth was divided, and the name of his brother
- And Jektan begot Elmodad, and Saleth, and Sarmoth, and Jarach,
- and Odorrha, and Aibel, and Decla,
- and Eval, and Abimael, and Saba,
- and Uphir, and Evila, and Jobab, all these were the sons of
- And their dwelling was from Masse, till one comes to Saphera, a
mountain of the east.
- These were the sons of Sem in their tribes, according to their
tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
- These are the tribes of the sons of Noe, according to their
generations, according to their nations: of them were [a] the islands of the Gentiles scattered
over the earth after the flood.
[a] Or, simply Gentiles
[English translation of the Septuagint by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee
Brenton (1807-1862) originally published by Samuel Bagster & Sons,
Ltd., London, 1851]