- At that time after the pestilence, the Lord said to Moses, and to Elazer the son of Aaron the
- Number the heads of the whole community of the children of Israel, from twenty years old
and upward, all that went forth in the army.
- And Moses and Elazer numbered the children of Israel after their families, and the number
of all Israel was seven hundred thousand, seven hundred and thirty.
- And the number of the children of Levi, from one month old and upward, was twenty-three
thousand, and amongst these there was not a man of those numbered by Moses and Aaron
in the wilderness of Sinai.
- For the Lord had told them that they would die in the wilderness, so they all died, and not
one had been left of them excepting Caleb the son of Jephuneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
- And it was after this that the Lord said to Moses, Say unto the children of Israel to avenge
upon Midian the cause of their brethren the children of Israel.
- And Moses did so, and the children of Israel chose from amongst them twelve thousand
men, being one thousand to a tribe, and they went to Midian.
- And the children of Israel warred against Midian, and they slew every male, also the five
princes of Midian, and Balaam the son of Beor did they slay with the sword.
- And the children of Israel took the wives of Midian captive, with their little ones and their
cattle, and all belonging to them.
- And they took all the spoil and all the prey, and they brought it to Moses and to Elazer to
the plains of Moab.
- And Moses and Elazer and all the princes of the congregation went forth to meet them
- And they divided all the spoil of Midian, and the children of Israel had been revenged upon
Midian for the cause of their brethren the children of Israel.
[Book of Jasher
Referred to in Joshua and Second Samuel.
faithfully translated (1840)
from the Original Hebrew into English.
A Reprint of Photo Lithographic Reprint of Exact Edition
Published by J.H. Parry & Co., Salt Lake City: 1887]